Thursday 27 February 2014

He Just Wants to Smoke in Peace, and Instead He's the Hardest-Working Man on Book Covers

Longer-term readers might remember the 'Man in Fog', a 1935 photo by Arthur Tanner that featured in this sites's first proper post, and which, when I last talked about it, had appeared on the covers of at least nine books (more, really, since the Simenon below stands in for a whole series of books featuring that image as an inset).


Here's his latest appearance, snowed-in and Berlin-ified for Dan Vyleta's Pavel & I's latest edition.

Furthermore, I've found him on another nine books since I last posted about him:











So with the earlier, previously logged, appearances displayed below, that's at least 19 books he's graced. He was also going to be on a 20th, an Alma Classics edition of a book by Céline, until I let them know about his ubiquity.









5 comments:

Brian Lindenmuth said...

To be rivaled by the woman in the red coat (Amazon link below). Once you know to look out for her you see her everywhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Other-Woman-Hank-Phillippi-Ryan-ebook/dp/B0085UD054/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393589042&sr=1-1&keywords=hank+phillippi+ryan

Jonathan Walker said...

I was waiting for Alan Furst to show up - they should just use Brassai for all of his and be done with it. (I am a big fan of both Furst and Brassai.)

JRSM said...

Brian: I know I've seen her elsewhere, too, but can't remember where. I'll start searching!

Jonathan: Same here. That Parisian cafe with the bullet hole in the wall where a waiter was shot is a very Brassai location...

Stephanie said...

The least they could do was flip him around once in a while.

Anonymous said...

All that smoking can't be good for you.