Tuesday 18 June 2013

Father Brown, Ancient North

A brief post showing off two new series coming from Penguin Classics UK at the end of the year: first of all, the five books in the 'Legends from the Ancient North' series:






These are really nice, with an air of olden-days Penguins to them. I just hope that this bit...


 ..is a sticker, or else you'll be permanently stuck with that unfortunate link to the middle bits of the most drawn-out case of milking it in cinematic history.

The other series are these elegant new editions of the G. K. Chesterton Father Brown books:





These take inspiration from Romek Marber's old Penguin Chesterton crime covers, especially in the case of 'The Incredulity...' (old) in 'The Innocence...' (new):



8 comments:

jb said...

As I was scrolling through that top set, I kept on thinking, 'man I hope that orange blight is a sticker'...

Looks like a nice set otherwise. I've long meant to read some of those (ditto Father Brown, actually), so this might be a good way.

JRSM said...

Yes, if it's a spot-varnished bit of the cover then I will be an angry, angry man.

amateur idler said...

Ha! My much less literary thought was, "ew, I hope that orange thing comes off." I am almost continually impressed with new Penguin covers these days.

Lucy Davey said...

The Ancient North set are lovely, any idea who the illustrator is?

JRSM said...

Not yet--I'm trying to find out.

Anonymous said...

I do like those 'North' covers - I wonder if Penguin tried to get Tolkien's own translations of the works too (his Gawain is very good) to fit in with their strange marketing campaign - I guess Harper Collins would never relinquish such money-spinning rights..!

Oli

Drew said...

I work in the same building as Penguin in NYC...I went down to their art department but then noticed these are the UK edition. My friend at Putnam gave me a contact in marketing...so I just reached out to him to see if he would know. Will keep you posted.

JRSM said...

Oli, I suspect you're right--they keep finding "new" stuff by him to add to the HC catalogue.

Drew: Thanks for that--I got in touch with Penguin UK, and they're by Petra Borner--see the next post.