Wednesday 16 February 2011

Robinson on Himes

I've talked about cover work on Chester Himes before, when Pegasus rereleased two of his novels. In May this year, five of his books are being put out as Penguin Modern Classics. I have four of the covers, and they're marvellous: stark, violent black-and-white pictures by Aaron Robinson.






Robinson has Penguined before, providing the excellent cover paintings for the most recent repackaging of D. H. Lawrence...










..and one of whose covers was stolen by an ebook imprint, as detailed here.

For a different approach to Lawrence, see here.

And in an unrelated note, if you haven't played the Great Gatsby 8-bit videogame yet, you must!


5 comments:

Ian Koviak said...

those are terrific! The B/W illustrations are almost photographic looking.

JRSM said...

I thought they were when I first saw the little thumbnails. It was only when I got bigger versions that I saw the pencil/charcoal textures. lovely stuff.

Unknown said...

I actually gasped when I scrolled down and saw the "Lady Chatterley's Lover" cover.

Craig D. said...

I come to this blog to laugh at the awful and the misguided, and you insult me like this? Seriously, these are fantastic, every single one.

I'm surprised they got away with the Lady Chatterley's Lover cover, in this increasingly Puritan society of ours.

Arlee Bird said...

Those Chester Himes covers are harsh and gritty. Pretty cool.


Lee
Tossing It Out