Wednesday 19 November 2008

From Out of Nowhere

Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clézio's winning of the Nobel Prize in Literature this year has caught a lot of people on the hop, as there was bugger-all of his work in print in English translation.

With somewhat startling speed, though, both Vintage Classics and Penguin Classics have reacted so that each have three of his books scheduled to come out in the next couple of weeks. The Penguins have no finalised covers yet available online (and, indeed, are not yet even listed on Penguin's website), but these are the Vintage covers.





I'm intrigued by all three, but remain completely in the dark as to what the books are about.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. I like the Book of Flights cover.

Ian Koviak said...

all very unique and fresh. I too like Book of Flights best... I assume this is a series...

JRSM said...

It's the nicest of the three, definitely. Ian, the series is the UK version of Vintage Classics.

I'm intrigued to know what the Penguins will look like.

Will said...

I just found a scan of a "Vintage" edition of War. Now on my flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajourneyroundmyskull/3118503230/

To comment on a more recent post, why did they have to call that cookbook Natural Harvest! -- that's the grossest part for me.

JRSM said...

WHat a great cover: do you mind if I reproduce it here (with credit)?

Will said...

Go for it. The other early English-language Le Clezio covers I've seen are boring, but I'll keep my eyes open.

I sent your Natural Harvest link to all my friends. Last night we enjoyed hours of the grossest drunken wordplay of our lives.