Wednesday 22 February 2012

Not About Books: An Excuse

A brief diversion from books here, to explain why I haven't posted anything in a few days (but more stuff is coming very soon, I promise!). I was engaged in a small, satisfying and, frankly, pointless project: the construction of a tiny vintage vinyl record shop. Gratifyingly, thanks to Boing Boing, it seems to have gone viral, with pictures of it turning up everywhere (irritatingly, sometimes attributed to someone else). Anyway, here are the original photos: click for bigger.


8 comments:

Levi Stahl said...

Wait--that really was you? I saw this today on Tumblr and saw your name attached and just didn't connect the two. It's brilliant!

That Hank said...

That's awesome. I have two little city buildings and a hot dog stand I made from beer boxes, but they are in no way as detailed and perfect as your store.

JRSM said...

Levi, thank you: my bid for world fame is finally paying off.

DG, doing all the fiddly details made it: a) surprisingly satisfying, and, b) surprisingly time-consuming.

I can see how scale model hobbyists get sucked into this mad little world of tiny buildings and social withdrawl.

Tororo said...

Congratulations. This brought me back to a time when there still was real-life tiny vinyl stores in my neighborhood... (meaning, long ago). Thanks for the nostalgia trip!

Brian Busby said...

Wonderful... the attention and praise is well-desrved. Dare we hope that a tiny bookstore will be moving in next-door?

Shelley said...

It's not pointless.

Ian Koviak said...

That's sick. I want one.

JRSM said...

I'm tempted to make a tiny bookshop, I have to admit--though the idea of making hundreds of tiny books is a little daunting.