Wednesday 13 January 2010

Salu!

When I posted the cover for Manuel Rivas's Books Burn Badly, I didn't then know who the designer was. An anonymous person has since let me know that it is Michael Salu, who was also responsible for the most recent Vintage UK iteration of Patricia Highsmith. And having know been turned onto his work, I keep finding other great stuff the man has done.

The most recent update of Italo Calvino's backlist for Vintage Classics UK is a clever example of how text alone (and the odd simple shape) can make a cover work. They seem especially apt for a writer who had so much fun playing with language.


 


 
 

 
 


Salu also did something similar for Raymond Carver's backlist...






 
 

However, he's not just about the type. Here is a beautiful cover for an upcoming short story collection...



And here, stolen from Sula's website, are three apparently rejected covers for reissues of Ismail Kadare's backlist. I can imagine why anyone wouldn't have used these.


 

 

Michael Sula's web home is With Subtitle.Frankly, I could have kept reposting stuff from there all day, but you're best exploring it yourself before he sets his lawyers onto me.
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cover with the cassette tape is really clever.

Dan said...

These are really really lovely.