Tuesday 8 June 2010

Casual Optimist on Scott-Heron

I just saw these covers over at The Casual Optimist, and I love them. They're by Stuart Bache for Canongate's reissues of two of Gil Scott-Heron's novels from the 1970s. I must get these! Go to The Casual Optimist for an interview with Bache.



I'm not the world's biggest Scott-Heron fan (otherwise I would have already read these, I suppose), but he's been on my mind since the release of his first album for 16 years, I'm New Here. Scott-Heron himself seems not to have been as involved as he might in its creation, but one track in particular has wormed its way into my brain. If you want to hear the authentic voice of a man who recognises that he has comprehensively fucked up his life, here you go:


4 comments:

Dan said...

Thanks for the link! I love these covers too. :-)

JRSM said...

Thank YOU! I've now ordered them, as I have to have them!

Stuart Bache said...

Glad you like them matey, and thanks for linking to Dan's interview too.

JRSM said...

Thank YOU--they're brilliant covers!