Wednesday 17 December 2008

Containing a Link it's Probably Unwise to Click

There are some books that, to steal a phrase from David Cairns of Shadowplay, just seem like a big, heaping bowl o' wrong. That mainstream publishers avoid them, and they come out via vanity POD press Lulu, is no surprise.

The book I'm talking about is this one. Gird your loins before clicking.

Not good, was it? This book presumably contains recipes for ACTUAL big, heaping bowls o' wrong. It's reassuring to see that the author explains "I'm not some sort of whacky freak", a Freudian typo if ever there was one.

Hilariously, Lulu's keyword search tool is wildly inept. Clicking the search term 'cooking with semen' gives you books like Family Cooking Made Easy, Summer Party Cooking Recipes, and Recipes From South Of The Border: 246 Tasty Mexican Recipes, along with 1508 other books, all of whose author's would (I think it's safe to say) be surprised to find themselves in such company. It also leads you to a family history for a Galician man whose first name is Semen. Laughing at this is not mature.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The book is sickening and freaky enough, but the comments are something else.

JRSM said...

It's all just AWFUL, isn't it?

yt said...

My reaction gradually went from amused to horrified as I realized that the posts aren't kidding.

Ian Koviak said...

Hey, anyone up for some good 0l' home cookin'? Great, I'll be right back...

Steerforth said...

That's put me off my pudding.

Until now, I thought cooking with semen was a weird perversion of John Updike's imagination (Rabbit is Rich). I'm not a big fan of bodily fluids and eating placentas. I think I'd rather die.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, if you only splash out on one book this year...

JRSM said...

Oh, Stewart, I wish I'd thought of that pun for the post title!