Thursday 9 October 2014

Never Any End to Hemingway

The newest English translation of Spanish novelist Enrique Vila-Matas's work is Never Any End to Paris, his thoroughly enjoyable and funny story of a Hemingway-obsessed young Spaniard trying to be a writer in 1970s Paris, with Marguerite Duras, of all people, as his landlady. Published by Harvill Secker, the cover illustration of the pretentious narrator and his hero at a cafe table is by Jörn Kaspuhl... 
 


..and it rather cleverly plays off the original dustjacket for Hemingway's own A Farewell to Arms


Some of Kaspuhl's more unsettling illustrations, which are derived from casual photos and show people turning into strange cross-species hybrids, were collected in his now sadly out-of-print Humanimal.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm feeling a little pleased with myself since I saw the references to early editions of Hemingway right off the bat. I was thining about Old Man and The Sea, but I think that still counts. ;-)