Monday 2 May 2011

Another Moment in the Sun

I posted about John Sayles's huge and beautiful A Moment in the Sun before, but now I have my copy and it's just lovely, so I'm doing it again. Several astute commenters guessed that the cover was the work of poster artist Aaron Horkey, and they were spot on.

In the flesh this is an absolutely gorgeous book, with the cover printed with metallic inks. Even better, the blurb and the ISBN are on a detachable sticker, so you can remove all the commercial stuff from the book and just have it as a work of art. McSweeney's really do know how to produce a book. Click on the photos for bigger images.






And for scale, here is the book with a dog called Boswell and a bottle of whisky. The latter is the reason why this and the last of the photos above are a bit blurry.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. That is absolutely stunning (and helloooo texturrific)! And good grief it's humongous. I love how you used an animal and a bottle of liquor to showcase how chunky it is. =)

JRSM said...

Thanks! At the time it made perfect sense!

Ian Koviak said...

super. Something to own for sure. That and the McSweeney Art book...

JRSM said...

I'm really looking forward to reading it--just have to gird my loins for 1000 pages of small type.

Steerforth said...

A book, a dog and a bottle - sounds like my perfect evening in.

JRSM said...

Ha ha -- yes, very much mine too!

matthew. said...

I'm super excited for this book. I just read Sayles' Union Dues about a month ago in anticipation for this. Hopefully its quality justifies its gargantuan length

Anonymous said...

looks nice. let us know how it is.

haha dog looks like it has no eyes.