Thursday 5 August 2010

A Book So Odd It Must Be Owned

Blaft Publications of India  seem to be one of the world's most endearingly odd publishing houses. See here, here and here for some of their previous output. Now they've published குமாரியின் ராட்சச காதலன், or Kumari Loves a Monster, a picture book about young women and the hideous monsters they love. It's the work of Rashmi Ruth Devadasan (writer) and Shyam (artist). This is the cover (hot pink and gold foil)...



..and here are some of the innards. Click on all images for much bigger versions.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Incredibly weird. Is this some sort of fetish? I have to say that I don't really understand it? Is Dorian Grey going to pop out somewhere?

JRSM said...

The logic behind this book is as mysterious to me as to you, I have to say. But it's been done with such enthusiasm!

Hildred Billings said...

Not gonna lie, I'm all over the artwork, haha.

A Sideways Girl said...

I LOVE it!

Brian Busby said...

I can't help but think that these monsters are loved for their money. Need I add that they don't appear to be long for this world?

Sorry to be so cynical. Really, I am a romantic at heart.

That Hank said...

I like this so much, I had to put it on I've Had Dreams Like That.

http://dreamslikethat.blogspot.com/2010/08/watching-movies-is-must.html?zx=4c056cefae693ac8

JRSM said...

Brian: I fear you may be right!

DG: Thanks!

eNews said...

those pictures are comic pictures i guess. those are very interesting.

kav said...

you can buy this book online on www.blaft.com
:-)

kav said...

you can buy this book online on www.blaft.com
:-)

Jess the Chipster said...

i used to do illustrations like this all the time because the only things i could draw were monsters and women.