Wednesday 3 March 2010

Mynas

 

After talking to Charles Boyle of CB Editions, here's another one-man publishing outfit. Says John Hughes of Myna Classics, "The aim of Myna Classics is to publish forgotten or neglected (i.e. 'minor') classics of English literature in an attractive and affordable paperback format. I have no previous experience in publishing or design, but I love books, and this is a sort of one-man crusade against the dozens of other Print-On-Demand companies who publish sloppily-edited texts (usually pilfered straight from Project Gutenberg) with plain, generic or completely inappropriate covers, and then charge you the earth for the privilege."

I think we can guess the sort of publisher he's railing against.

Anyway, here are the covers of the first five Mynas. I'm especially pleased that he's resurrected Cabbages and Kings, O. Henry's only novel, an entertainingly odd book that was undeservedly out of print until now. Lawrence's The Trespasser is very good too--and one he wrote before he became so terrified that his readers wouldn't get him that he decided he had to spell everything out at the most appalling length. And Richard Jefferies is also the author of one of the earliest after-the-end-of-the-world novels, After London, which is excellent and unfairly neglected.


  
  
 
 

John does all of the cover art, too. What do you think?

10 comments:

Brian Busby said...

I think John Hughes is a hero.

Pete said...

I love all of these, but if he has no background in design, where are these wonderful illustrations coming from? They're certainly not clip art or anything like that.

joXn said...

I think that Lithos is a poor choice of font for this application.

JRSM said...

Brian: I agree!

Pete: He does them all himself.

JoXn: I know what you mean, though it does have a 'friendly' feel in this context. Whether or not that's what you're after is a different story, of course.

megan said...

As a reader: I'm really enthusiastic about the fact that he's making these volumes available...in forms that don't suck!

As an artist: I dig certain covers more than others. I really respect the fact that he's making each of them himself-- that's pretty sweet. The O.Henry one is really nice, I think. It makes me want to read the book.

As a designer: Unity of design is really strong. This is a good thing. I wonder though if it's too strong-- the cover art all uses the same pastel colors, primarily. I'd be curious to see what happens when you vary the base color more. It might add to the quality of the set, it might not. I agree about the choice of Lithos, though. It's a little too funky for revived classics. It does give it them a sort of personality, but it all comes down to who you want your audience to be-- scholars or curious bibliophiles? What appeals to one might not appeal to the other.

I'm excited that this sort of project is out there, though. :D

I may have to go grab one of these next time I'm in the money...

Tulkinghorn said...

He's doing what I want to do, and didn't even ask permission.

Thank goodness that there are enough out of print/public domain books to sustain more than one such enterprise.

Although if e-books catch on, the market will get even smaller... Everytime I see an Edwardian mystery available on Kindle for a buck, I die a little death.

JRSM said...

Megan: John says "I also think Megan hit it on the head when she questioned who the target audience is - these books aren't intended to be 'scholarly'; there are no in-depth introductions or extensive notes etc. The aim is just to provide a good, straightforward and accurate text that can be enjoyed by anyone (basically, I'm just publishing books I like myself and hoping that other people like them too)."

Tulkinghorn: I had the same reaction--it made me want to endanger my savings by setting up my own similar company. And I could wear what you said about Edwardian mysteries emblazoned on a T-shirt.

StuckInABook said...

These look so much better than the usual POD stuff, how heartening!

lucyd said...

This sounds like an admirable project, though I still think he should employ an illustrator. But then I would say that...

Anonymous said...

I admire what he's doing, but I don't like the covers, the art, or that sky blue color.